Potatoes are one of the best diets that you can ever lay your hands on for the best nutritional benefits. It has multiple nutrients just enough for a serving; it has no fat; it is very filling, all of which makes it a recommended meal as a part of a weight loss program. Potatoes have the luxury of being cooked in several ways, albeit, the method of preparation could affect the nutritional content of each meal per serving. One of the times potatoes become tricky to make is when it is baked, because baking raises the calorie level. However, there is a smart way to go about making healthy baked potato in oven. Here is how to:
What you need:
Ingredients: 4 large russet potatoes, kosher salt, 1/2 to 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil.
Equipment: Baking sheet, paring knife, pastry brush, and a fitting wire rack.
- Now, preheat the oven to a temperature of 450 0F
- Rinse the potatoes in cold water while you gently wash or scrub to remove any dirt that may be present. Dry the wet potatoes and proceed to pierce with a paring knife. About 7 to 8 piercing is okay; that would allow evaporation of the steam while baking.
- Proceed to dissolve 2 tablespoonfuls of salt in a bowl, adding half a cup of warm water. Rub in the potatoes right in the bowl until you are sure that there is an even coating on each. Place the potatoes on the wire rack that has been put in the baking pan or sheet.
- Get the potatoes in the oven and bake for a duration between 45- 55 minutes. Alternatively, some monitor the temperature at the center of the potato until it reaches about 205 0F.
- This time, bring out the potatoes from the oven and brush them with the recommended volume of vegetable oil. This time, return them to the oven and continue to bake for the next 10 mins.
- Remove potatoes from the oven and use a paring knife to slice through the potato. Hold either side of the slides with a towel and gently push out the flesh. You can go ahead to sprinkle with salt, pepper, and toppings of your choice. However, be careful to make sure you are not accumulating calories.
Following the quantity of ingredients mentioned here, this baked potato in oven has: 340 cal, 5g fat, 2g sugar, and 5g fiber, 67g carbohydrate and 8g protein.